Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Risk.

Risk seems to be a funny thing. Some people fear it, some people search it out. I was told tonight at the 2nd Annual Business Club Dinner that, "This is the time for risk." As I am now currently in the decision making process of where I will spend the next few years, this statement really hit home.

I was seated at a table next to a man named Ed, he was in the insurance sales business, has three kids and was incredibly insightful. He quickly noticed my outgoing personality and inquired what I might be interested in going in to. After immediately suggesting sales, I told him about my experience in marketing and also about my other opportunities. The struggle was apparent as he could see the dyadic tension that is growing inside. He encouraged me to look towards God in honest prayer and also reinforced with his own personal stories the idea that this is the best time to take a risk. You have nothing tying you down, he noted, while telling me of the story of his wife.

After this great talk, Richard Postma delivered the keynote speech. He touched on his experience with banking and technology, noting some of his accomplishments and ended with the emphasis on three points, Culture, Courage and Commitment. He linked this with Micah 6:8 and the ideas of doing "Good Work."

No comments:

Post a Comment