Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Being Alone.

Being Alone.
this is something that most people in todays society are very afraid of. We are taught from the day we are born that there are power in numbers, two brains are better than one and especially girls have been socialized to never go anywhere alone.

Alone.

What is so scary about being alone.

Is it that you have to stand on your own two feet?
Is it that you won't have anyone to hide behind?
Is it that you won't have anyone to talk to?

What is it that makes being alone so bad?

Why has being alone become such a black hole of society?

I am me. I know who I am. I can stand behind myself.

In the past few weeks I have realized the power of being alone. Not being surrounded by 10 sorority friends, not having to fight for the attention of boys, not having to try to be someone else. Just being me. By myself, just me.

Airports and cities are my favorite to be me in. There are so many people around, hundreds of people, yet you are alone. Free to judge and make up stories, free to get lost in your own thoughts, free to think and free to dream. I recently walked back and forth in an airport terminal missing my gate three times becuase I was in my own world, surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of people. There is no other feeling like this in the world. To be you, to be free, to be alone right alongside hundreds of people..

There is also something to say about being in a city and being alone. No one really cares about you. You have to care about you and this is where a lot of the seemingly self-centeredness of city dwellers comes from.
If you don't watch out for yourself who will?You have to be aware of your surroundings because your surroundings are so busy and so alive. I can't treat the streets of chicago like I treat the streats of Holland.. I would be dead now.

There is also something liberating about anonyminity. Being in a city of millions of people makes this fact come true very fast. I could live for years in this city and not see a single person I knew. Nobody knows me. Nobody cares. Nobody knows.,  Noone would know the difference if I died my hair purple, dressed in all black and shaved my eyebrows. This means I can be whoever I want to be every day. No expectations to uphold, no standards to live up to, I am free to be me.

So what about relationships, what about being alone with another person.
Can you still feel this same alone feeling if another person, your soulmate, was right beside you?

No comments:

Post a Comment