Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thankfulness!

Today I am thankful.

Our Bible Study reading this week was 2 Samuel 7- God's Promise to David and David's Prayer. Essentially David wants to praise God for all of the things he has done for him in his life and wants to build him a fancy temple. God does not like this idea and makes his point very clear, he has other plans in mind! David then gravels in prayer asking God why is he worthy of God's favor and blessing.

We broke up into smaller groups to talk about things we are thankful for in our own lives. This had the possibility of being fairly surface-y with the "typical Christian answers" I am thankful for all of the blessings in my life job, house, family and/or friends but while we definitely did affirm these things we dove deeper into the root of thankfulness and transforming the culture of our own lives into one of thankfulness. Even in the hardest situations seeing God's grace, love and purpose.

God's purpose was also brought to the table. In my own life, especially in this time, I am thankful that God has revealed himself, and his purpose in my life! PTL! Since I have moved to Grand Rapids I have been searching for a Church, "Church Shopping" if you will. I thought this would be a relatively easy process-- that God would magically plant me in the Church that is right for me. Well 10 churches, 7 months of feeling unsettled later... it happened! Phoebe and I walked through the doors off City Life and have no intention of looking back. The past 5 weeks have been a whirlwind of God revealing his hand in this process. If I had been led to City Life 6 months ago, I don't think I would have been receptive to it. The past season has been one of prayer and discernment. Discerning what I was looking for in a Church, asking God to open my eyes and my heart to his will. Through the process of Church shopping I realized that I was drawn to smaller churches that opened not only their doors but their hearts to the least of the least. I was searching for a Church that would not only challenge me personally, spiritually and emotionally but that could also benefit from my unique spiritual gifts, passions and strengths. A Church that could be my home away from home. A Church that could capture my passion and run with it. And I am very happy to report that through God's faithfulness and unfailing love I HAVE FOUND IT!

You see, I --like David in 2 Samuel 7-- with seemingly pure intentions thought I knew what was best for me. HAH. God snickers. His plan was greater than I could have ever known. He knew that I needed a time of discernment, prayer-- essentially a time of wandering in the desert. This brings me back to thankfulness. I am thankful that God is faithful, even when my bull-headedness gets in the way. I am thankful that God shows up time and time again, you just have to be willing to let him drive, sit back and enjoy the ride. I was forced to put myself in uncomfortable, vulnerable situations and these very situations are what have led me to the position I am in right now. This morning I sat with Pastor Christy at Sanchells Cafe and accepted the postion of interim Team Leader of Kid City at City Life! I am absolutely bubbling with excitement and although I am nervous I can't wait to see what God has in store.

Lastly, while passion filled a very important person in my life called me to say hi, a person whose salvation I pray for on a daily basis. I told him about the exciting news and at the end of the conversation he said to me for the very first time of my life "I will be praying for you" HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD! A step in the VERY right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment